- This event has passed.
29/01/2019 @ 19:00 - 31/03/2019 @ 22:30
The Club has a well-equipped workshop with everything required to cut and polish stones, including saws, grinding wheels, sanding discs, polishing pads and flat laps.
Members wishing to learn the art of stone cutting and polishing (lapidary) are required to undertake the lapidary course in which they will be taught how to use the workshop equipment. After successfully completing the course you will receive a Statement of Attainment certificate which means you are are to use the equipment without supervision.
During the course, members will make the following set of items:
- A standard oval cabochon (Serpentine material supplied).
- A standard oval cabochon (harder material).
- A round cabochon (different material).
- A fancy (teardrop) cabochon.
- A double sided tear drop cabochon.
- A square or hexagonal cabochon.
- Students own choice, which could be any shape, single or double sided, e.g. a heart.
After completing the course, students may wish to manufacture other lapidary items such as spheres, eggs, butterflies or flat faced material. The help and guidance of the supervisor is available, if required.
It is not necessary to have your own equipment to participate in the course or to attend the workshop as machinery, equipment and materials are available at the Club. It is also not necessary to have previous experience in using this type of equipment for it is found those new members, male and female, young and not so young, are quickly able to produce highly polished items.
Please note, all courses at the WA Lapidary and Rock Hunting Club Incorporated are taught by volunteers. Please treat them kindly.
- $20.00 (inc materials and machine usage)
- Membership fee (if not already a member of the club)
Additional costs per session
- $5.00 (inc. clubroom maintenance and a hot drink)
Payment which includes course and membership is due on the first day.
Workshop Opening Times
The lapidary workshop is open for use by members on the following days.
Monday night: 7.00pm – 10.00pm
Tuesday morning: 9.30am – 12.30pm
Wednesday morning: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Wednesday night: 7.00pm – 10.00pm
Thursday morning: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Saturday morning: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Saturday afternoon: 1:00pm – 4:00pm
A fee of $5.00 applies for use of the workshop for each session that members attend.